Friday, March 27, 2009

GEM

“Some people succeed because they are destined to, but most people succeed because they are determined to”

This encouraging quote in a leading daily, reminds me of a batch-mate from class 12th. Of all that I can recall, I remember him as a guy who used to stand last in the row for assemblies, looking really sheepish…not because he was that tall, but because he was late to school without a day’s exception. He was one of the most good-humored and jocular person and usually the target for most of the gags in the bus. Incidentally we shared the same coaching class also, where again he was a declared hope-less case. None of the faculty members expected anything for from him…but all this didn’t rob him off his trademark smile and jovial spirit. At that time, I didn’t give this guy any heed; I simply didn’t know him well enough to comment on him.
With time he became a friend rather than an acquaintance, thanks to some common friends. That’s when I actually started understanding this guy and realized that he was far more talented than what he portrayed himself to be. His thoughts and deeds had a lot of depth and what was most striking was the way he kept back his thoughts to himself and never made them evident. He never gave word to his emotions. I don’t recall any moment except one when he spoke what he felt. He was never an emotional fool (as he puts it), but I know he is emotional. Our common friends always thought that he would never keep in touch and his principle in life was, out of sight and out of mind, but I always knew that he is the only person who can maintain the integrity of the bond called friendship and he proved me right.
When people thought that he was a hopeless case, he had a hope ignited within him, I could sense it. Somehow, after I started understanding him, I was confident that he would be successful but I couldn’t ever justify it, though now I can. He is not one of the most intelligent people I have come across, but he certainly is one of the cleverest people I have come across. He always knew what exactly he wanted from life and I loved the fact that he steered in every possible direction to reach where he wanted to. He never bothered as to what people had to say about him, because he knew that he was nothing short of the best. Today he is much more successful than many others because while others were involved in petty issues he already was working out his plan of action. He was determined to make a mark and he has succeeded in doing it…at least to some extent.
There are very few people apart from my parents whom I really respect and he is one of them….and as I always tell him that “he is a GEM of a human being”. I’m and will always be proud to have a friend like him.


3 comments:

sangeeta said...

feel blessed to have such friends dear...life is all the more fun :)
stay blessed :)

prashant said...

Thanks 2 U...
even i dont Know this much about "ME"
great DHAKKAN

Mansi said...

U know what brother...the ocean rarely knows its own depth...its the sailor who can comment on the depth of the ocean...